Sunday, April 10, 2011

First race under wraps

Finished my first tri of the year, the Hempfield sprint.  My training compared to last year is drastically different.  Last year I couldn't run much (or bike), so I did all power/speed training.  This year has been all base building.

Swim went better.  I had about the same time as last year, but much more relaxed.  Bike started off well, but 5 miles in my hip flexor started cramping.  I wish I could have pushed it harder, but didn't want to kill my run.  Transitions went much better then last year.

The run was miserable.  I got off the bike and couldn't breathe...same issue I had last year at the Keystone Memorial triathlon. My abs and chest were tight...even walking wasn't helping.  I finished at a7:42 pace, which was casual (and good to know for the full).

Post race, I packed up and went to breakfast with Lauren and my dad.  When I got home, I tried my inhaler, which seemed to help.  I think both cases were an asthma attack.  I did take my inhaler before other races (and will now).

Trying to schedule a bike fit to work on the hip issues, otherwise I was happy with it.  There were FAST guys out there, and it was great to gauge my fitness.  I took a nap, and feel great after the race.  I should be back to training tomorrow, which is a first.  Now I see how my buddy Chandler does back to back races.

No comments:

Post a Comment