Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I will survive...

So the bike course turned out to be rougher than I expected. The top pro went just under 2:50, and few broke 3:00. My first lap was great, at 1:35 and I felt I could have turned in a 1:40...but my hip flexors and hamstrings started acting up quick on the first lap. I lost my gel at mile 12 and there was only one aid station, so I knew it'd be a long day.

The swim went pretty well. My googles were fogged from the start and I forgot to start my watch. It was a TT start with two people going at a time, so I didn't have feet to hop on. I took the first lap easy. Second lap, I stopped and cleared my googles but found I was a good 20 yards off course. I hit the second bouy and decided to bridge to a group. I felt great and made it about half way, making me feel much better for the 2.4 mile swim. My Xterra Vortex 3 was great. I was a little concerned that the size may be too big, but I have issues with tight wetsuits. I had no problems with water getting in and floated to a 33:00 swim to the dock.

Back to the bike...it was awful. I spent way too much time in my 34/27, or bombing hills trying to stretch. I kept expecting to see the elites/pro flying in the other direction, but they weren't gaining too much time. The second lap was miserable, and I really wanted to DNF, but just chugged along. I got into T2 and ran the first mile with the winner, but took it a little too fast (6:30). I hit a bathroom at mile 2, then just relaxed and settled in. I did negative split the second half, and passed a handful of people. I finished under 5:45, which was killer since the pro went 4:47 and an elite went 4:59.

I knew I did decent, since three in my AG were elites and I didn't see anyone pass me. My dad and I waited around for a few hours for results, but they were running into issues. They were posting "results" that were not official, and a few people were claiming first place awards who weren't even near the top...oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment