Tuesday, June 7, 2011

finding my running legs

Sunday was the Mason-Dixon (Pinchot) sprint tri. This was the first race I ever did in 08, and was the second time my Uncle Greg came in to do it. He had to do the dualthon b/c of a surfing injury, but that was an advantage for him.

I was psyched to test out my Kiwami Konami and my Xterra Vortex 3 wetsuit. The konami fit like a glove, but wasn't restrictive. I usually get to the run and am really hot, but was suprised that I didn't need to unzip due to the heat or feeling restricted. I was in between sizes of the vortex 3, but went with a medium since I'm doing longer races. It was great, even though it was a tad loose. I actually like the wetsuit like that since I'm prone to cramping.

I was out of the water 8th overall, but did a casual swim. Had I been aggressive at the start, I could have been out with the leaders. The bike was ok...I need to get out and do more TT's, and I didn't have enough low gears for the downhill, but after the first lap I wanted to turn in a good run. So I backed off a bit and rode smarter. I got through T2 quick and felt great on the run. I had a minor twinge in my calves, but after .5 miles I knew I could open it up. I was biking alone most of the time, and had no idea where anyone was on the run. I passed some relays/duathletes, but kept chugging along. The miles weren't marked, so I didn't know I was cruising till I was almost done. I hit the clock just under 1:27 but didn't have my race belt so it took time to register my number. I turned in the fourth fastest run, just under 18 minutes. My legs felt great and I was happy to find my running legs.

I've got 2.5 weeks of hard training before the Morgantown half. I plan on a 70+ mile ride Saturday and then a 11.5 mile run Sunday. The following weekend will be more of the same, then I'll do a 3 day taper before the race.

July I'm up in the air about the Harrisburg sprint...if Morgantown goes well and I recover, I may do it. But if not, I'll get long distances in then. My goal is to get 4 rides over 100 miles, and 3 runs of 16-18 miles in before Chesapeakeman.

No comments:

Post a Comment