Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The long road starts here

I wake up and I hear whistles.  We used these to communicate when it was time for someone to rotate.  I'm being carted to the ambulance and give a thumbs up.  I look over and see the helicopter.  I wonder how long I was out for, how bad shape I was in.  How did Skydive Arizona know to call for a helicopter?  I found out that TR's wife Anne knew I was in the mess in the air,  she knew it was going to be serious.

I was asked if I wanted pain meds, but I wasn't in pain. "That's not good.  We'll give you some though.  You should be feeling pain".  I'm glad they gave it to me because I was.  I tried to relax and enjoy the ride to Phoenix, AZ.  As we were landing, I asked where we were, trying to explain "I work for a company in Flagstafff, I'm familiar with the state".

Off to the trauma center I go.  This started my three day stay at the hospital.  Initial MRI, CT Scan, and Xray tests showed I sustained fractures of C5 and C6 (chipped off the spinus process), T7, T8 and L1.  These were fractures in my neck, upper back and lower back.  But it was not life threatening.  My neurosurgeon debated a fusion of C5 and C6 but wanted to make sure it was necessary.  I was 24 and did not want a fusion.

The next few days went quick.  Tests showed that I did not require surgery, but had a hip issue I did not bring up.  I was given a walker and flew home to PA to start my recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment