Tuesday, January 18, 2011

So it begins.

January 25, 2008 wasn't a normal birthday for me.  I was going out to dinner with family and friends, playing rock band and living life again.  I also had my first date with my wife to be.  She was also getting into triathlons, which was great.  We started swimming together on Sundays, riding on the weekends, and doing some runs together. 

My first race was survival mode, but I did it.  A few days later, I decided to do the same course in two weeks with my dad.  He couldn't do the original race with myself and Uncle Greg, so I wanted to be there to support him with my "new pro knowledge".  That race went much better and I had caught the bug.  A few weeks later I bought a tri-bike and was off.  Another sprint race was in the bag for the summer, then we did a metric century.  Near the end, another rider was zoning out and went off road, did a flip and landed on his head.  I pulled over to stop and help him, but a group behind was not watching and I got t-boned.  My right leg never made it out of the pedals and I suffered a severe sprain.  A break would have been better as far as healing times.  From mid August until November, I could not run or bike.

This was a huge let down emotionally.  Again, the fitness I had built up was gone.  But I was enjoying this sport.  My dad and I decided to attempt a 70.3 in Florida.  Hey, the course is flat, how hard could it be?  To end the year, I got engaged, which helped me not focus on triathlons and just enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment